One thing we love is seeing people we know materialize their dreams. Our friend Anne is from Utrecht in the Netherlands and had a dream of opening a co-living and co-working space in the Canary Islands. Her dream became reality when she opened Nine Coliving, a beautiful mansion in the colonial town of La Orotava on the island of Tenerife.
A historic mansion turned modern
We stayed at Nine Coliving for ten days, and it was the best! Nine Coliving is a historic mansion from the 1800s converted into a chic living and working space for remote workers and travellers.
If you’re not familiar with the concept of coliving, it’s a concept for people who travel and work remotely. When you travel alone, you wind up seeking constants like community, a place to live and a place to do work. Nine Coliving provides those things!
Our favorite parts of the Nine experience
1. Watching the sunset from the roof: The roof of the house faces all directions and you can watch the sun go down as it dips into the clouds and the sea. On our final night, we discovered a new island in the distance (it was La Palma)!
2. The town of La Orotava: Nine is located in the center of this charming Tenerife town that has a lot of history, cobblestone streets, views of the water and plenty of places to eat and watch the world go by. We enjoyed wandering the streets and always noticing something new, no matter how many times we had walked up or down Calle Tomas Zerolo, where the Nine house is located.
3. Cooking, eating and BBQing on the patio: What’s better than one cook in the kitchen? Two! Or three… or four! The kitchen and the dinner tables at Nine are social spaces where food is shared, coffee is made, lunch is cooked and stories are told.
Our best nights in Tenerife were the ones on which the Nine family made time for a group BBQ and sat around hanging out with ice cream and dessert.
4. Looking for the turtles in the pond in the yard: The house has three outdoor spaces, namely the roof, the courtyard and the patio and yard! The yard has grass and a pond, where you can look for all the animals.
5. Getting work done in an inspiring space: The workspace is a bright room with views of the town, and there’s a conference room, event space and desk space for everyone. Staying at Nine was an experience that felt like having family - a family of explorers, adventurers and creative people.
Interested in reserving a room at Nine? You can book at www.ninecoliving.com.
Enjoyed our article?
Consider supporting us! We're a 2-person team (learn more about us here) and your support enables us to create quality content. Thank you!
You may also like
Plan an itinerary for Inle Lake with our best tips and things to do, including how to get around Inle Lake, what to see at Inle Lake and the best activities. See our 2-day, 3-day and 4-day itineraries for planning a trip.
What's the best plan for a trip to Sapa, Vietnam? This town is known for its views and location, but we suggest focusing on the hiking and trekking aspect for your planning.
Iceland has a reputation of being a very expensive trip destination. For most people, that's 100% correct. For me, there were five methods that helped me travel around Iceland and keep my costs low.
Buna Cafe Mexico City is one of Mexico City’s best specialty cafes for trying locally-sourced Mexican coffees in a sleek and trendy coffee shop.
Looking for a cozy spot to sip a cup of coffee or sample some local cuisine? Check out our list of must-see cafes in Mexico City, where we share our top picks for ambiance, food and drinks.
Where did we find rainbows in Lima? We stayed in the city''s Parque de la Reserva after the sun set, when all the fountains are illuminated with rainbow lights.